Wednesday, April 21, 2010

GIRLS MENTORSHIP PROGRAM

The evening of 20th April 2010 was a memorable one. Girls of the children of Kibera Foundation sat round a table waiting for the anticipated successful ladies we were to meet. All was well as we chatted quietly around the table when finally they arrived. It was a very honoring moment for us. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity and we did not want to waste it and surely no one could.

They joined us and introduced themselves as Belinda Obura who is a news anchor/journalist at Citizen TV, Louise Masese who is a nutrition Analyst working with the UN,Olga Randa who is an accountant working with the Red Cross, Hanifa Shakombo who is an advocate and Kendi Kilonzo who is a marketing manager working with EABL. The other ladies could not join us due to unavoidable circumstances. We also introduced ourselves and then had a girlie talk that was just awesome before we could start; Belinda requested that we first have our tea because it was specially meant for us. We walked like dignified ladies to the table having the drinks and after serving ourselves, we went back and continued with our talk.



We asked very many questions. We surely had a lot to talk about. They were so mesmerized when I addressed them as succefull ladies. I wondered what was there to be mesmerized about because they truly are. I learnt that in career choices, I should not limit my mind to just doing what I want but to accept anything that comes my way because a journey of a million miles begins with a step. You should always aim higher; not just being contented with what we have. In short, we should be ambitious.




They got to share quite a lot about their life, the challenges they encounter, how to overcome them and the steps to getting there. I felt very inspired and my dream and goal seemed so realistic because if they were able to make it in life then why can’t I? Why can’t I prove to those chauvinists that a woman can do what a man can do? Why don’t I prove to the whole society that I yes, me just a girl from Kibera can accomplish so much?

I felt quite relieved when they also shared the huddles and obstacles they encountered on their way to success. These challenges are to modify our character to make us strong as the fields most us are aspiring to venture are male dominated so, we will need the strength to cope with it. I want to make a difference to inspire on earth before I depart. I aspire before I expire.





They told us that we should always have a positive attitude towards what we are doing. Challenges are always there and we have to accept and appreciate that they are there and come up with ways on how to cope with them. We should have an intimate relationship with God so that He may bless our work and put our dreams and hopes into earnest consideration. The friends that we do not need should be kicked out of lives because they do more harm than good. It is better to have one worthwhile friend than many useless friends. We learnt that a lot from them and they also learnt from us. They were also inspired by us and what we go through everyday in school especially by the thought that we come from Kibera, which is a despised area but we work hard to prove to them that Kibera has the most educated people.

Surely, I can’t wait for the next meeting.


by Philitricia (Moi Girls Eldoret), Zainab (State House Girls High School), and Vane (Buruburu Girls High School)

3 comments:

  1. Amazing, cant wait to meet the girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOSH..... I am almost in tears! This is awesome... lovely article and quite refreshing to know that someone out there thinks the world of me. Love you ladies and i cannot wait to meet you all again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great work, continue giving hope to these girls and you will have made the world a better place. This is what is lucking in most countries. Let the same spirit continue, be assured that God is with you in the noble work to the human race.

    ReplyDelete